Foundation 2 (Reception)
Welcome to Foundation 2
Dream Big, Aim High
Caring Creative Confident
A very warm welcome to Foundation 2 (Reception) from Mrs Elkington, Mrs Pounder, Miss Mee, Mrs Cunnington and Miss Carrington.
This year, our teaching assistants are Mrs Swannell, Miss Horton, Miss Draper, Mrs Woolley and Miss Parfrement.
The following pages will hopefully provide you with as much information as possible. However, if you ever have any problems, concerns or questions, please see a member of the Foundation 2 staff at the beginning or end of the day, or by phoning the school office.
We are looking forward to a brilliant year in Foundation 2!
Meet the staff...
Hi, I am Mrs Elkington, the class teacher for F2a. I am also Assistant Head, English Lead, Foundation 2 Lead and a School Governor. I have worked at Butler's Hill since 2004 and have taught in all year groups. I absolutely love working in Foundation 2. I really enjoy teaching you all new things and learning through play, we have so much fun. In my spare time I love spending time with my family, going for walks and reading magazines. I also love to read books. My favourite children's book is 'Would You Rather?' by John Burnigham. There lots of choices in this book that make me laugh!
Miss Horton F2a TA
Hello, My name is Miss Horton and work alongside Mrs Elkington and Mrs Pounder in F2A. I have worked at Butler's Hill for over 27 years. I love working with you all and making learning fun. Since I was a little girl, my favourite book has been The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy.
Hi, I am Miss Carrington, the class teacher for F2c. I am also the Science Lead. I have worked at Butler's Hill since 2017 and have been in the Foundation Stage the whole time. I absolutely love working in Foundation 2. I love watching you learn, grow and develop by learning through play and having fun. In my spare time I love spending time with my nephew and watching him learn. I also love doing Taekwondo. My favourite children's book is Oi Frog by Kes Gray because it has lots of rhyming words and makes me laugh. I can't wait to share it with you!
Mrs Swannell F2c TA
I am Mrs Swannell. I work alongside Miss Carrington in F2c. I have worked at Butler's Hill since 1985 and have enjoyed being in all the year groups in our school. I love learning with you through play and my favourite thing is singing. I enjoy so many books but one of my favourites is Dogger by Shirley Hughes. When its the weekend I spend some of my time walking in Derbyshire or gardening.
Hello, I am Miss Mee, one of the class teachers for F2b. I work Monday’s and Tuesday’s alongside Mrs Cunnington. I am also the computing lead at Butler’s Hill. I have worked at Butler’s Hill since 2014 where I spent 5 years in Foundation 1 and 2 years in Foundation 2. My heart and passion is really in the Early Years, I believe it is the fundamental stage where children become creative, curious, independent learners, within a safe, stimulating and supportive environment, they first develop their love for learning. When I am not at school, I love to spend time with my little girl. We love to bake, go for walks and splash in puddles! One of our favourite things to do is share and read books! We love the book ‘What the Ladybird Heard’ by Julia Donaldson. The characters are funny and there are lots of rhyming words. I am looking forward to sharing it with you soon.
Hello, I am Mrs Cunnington, one of the class teachers for F2b. I work Wednesday’s, Thursday’s and Friday’s alongside Miss Mee. I am also the Music lead and SENCO at Butler’s Hill. I have worked at Butler’s Hill since 2018 where I spent a few terms in Year 2 before working in Foundation 2. I have been teaching for 18 years and have worked at three different schools in total; working in F2, Year 1 and Year 2. I especially enjoy being in F2 as its lots of fun to learn through play! When I am not at school, I love to walk my dog Dexter, read books, cook and spend time with my little boy. We love to go to parks, and spot trains and trams. We enjoy reading together too. My son prefers to read books about ‘Thomas the Tank Engine’, but I prefer to read books about animals such as ‘Owl Babies’ by Martin Waddell. Do you know that one?
Miss Draper F2b
Hello, I am Miss Draper and I work alongside Miss Mee and Mrs Cunnington and in the Nursery. I have worked at Butlers Hill since 2018 and I love my job, working with the children in Nursery/F2. I love to follow the children's interests in their play, to really engage them in their learning, developing and enhancing it.
I have a little boy called Jonah and in our spare time we like to visit the local park and go on muddy walks in the woods. One of my favourite books to read is 'Pirates in the Supermarket' by Timothy Knapman. I love the rhyming words in this book and finding the pirates hiding in the pages. Jonah and I like looking for pirates when we go shopping in Tesco just incase they've decided to pay us a visit!
Mrs Woolley F2b
F2 Intent, Implementation and Impact
In F2 we have high expectations of all our children:
- All children should be on time to school and come everyday with their book bag, books and reading diary. School starts at 8.55am and finishes at 3.20pm
- Reading - At least three times a week, starting with parents/carers reading to the child and discussing the book until the child is ready for phonics reading books. Every child that reads three times a week (or more) and has their diary signed will be moved up the class reading ladder and entered into a class prize drawer. Dojo points are also earnt for reading at home. Please ensure reading books and diaries are in school every day.
- Bear Words - Each child will be sent home with a set of 'tricky' words to learn to read that half term. These will be tested at school and certificates/Dojo points given when they have been learnt. Once children can read these words they will practice spelling them.
- PE - kits need to be sent into school the first day back for each half term. They will be sent home at the end of each half term. We have strict rules on kits. It is a white t-shirt and black shorts, leggings or joggers. Children need trainers for outdoor sessions, plimsolls are not necessary.
- Uniform is a non-negotiable at Butler's Hill. This consists of white shirts/polo shirts, black or grey trousers, shorts, skirts or dresses, red checked summer dresses and a red cardigan or jumper. Items with the school logo can be ordered from Hucknall Sports.