Welcome to Year 2
Dream Big, Aim High
Caring Creative Confident
Meet our team
A very warm welcome to Year 2 from Mrs Siddons, Miss Beldham, Mrs Wallis and Mrs Haynes.
This year, our teaching assistants are Miss Tutty, Mrs Wilson, Mrs Jordan and Miss Parfrement.
The following pages will hopefully provide you with as much information as possible. However, if you ever have any problems, concerns or questions, please see a member of the Year 2 staff at the beginning or end of the day, or by phoning the school office.
We are looking forward to a brilliant year in Year 2!
Mrs Siddons 2C teacher
Hi, I am Mrs Siddons, the class teacher for 2c. I am also Assistant Head, Maths Lead, Year 2 Lead, Curriculum Lead and a the Student Coordinator. I love teaching in Year 2 and I have worked at Butler's Hill since 2014. I really enjoy teaching you all new things and my favourite year two topic is all about dinosaurs. In my spare time I love visiting my family in Barnsley, reading and watching 'The Masked Singer' with my family. My favourite children's book is 'Grandad's Island' By Benji Davies.
Miss Tutty 2C TA
I am Miss Tutty. I work in 2C alongside Mrs Siddons. I love teaching P.E and SEAL lessons with the children and run an after school club twice a week called 'Fit Friends'. My favourite book to read with our class is 'The Gruffalo'. My favourite place to visit in the whole wide world is New York!
Miss Beldham 2B Teacher
I am Miss Beldham. I teach in Year 2 alongside our fantastic team. I lead P.E for the school and champion Reading for Pleasure. I have worked at Butler's Hill since 2015. Aside from P.E, my favourite subject to teach is History and my favourite topic is definitely the Great Fire of London. In my spare time, you'll find me anywhere with my family - usually eating out, shopping or spending the day with my 2 beautiful nephews.
My current favourite author is Tom Percival and his book 'Ruby's Worry' is such a lovely read. If I could go anywhere in the world again, it would be New York - so many amazing sights to see!
Mrs Jordan 2B TA
I am Mrs Jordan. I work alongside Miss Beldham in 2B. My favourite subject to teach the children is P.E. I am part of a really sporty family. I enjoy watching my boys play cricket on a hot summers day! I love to go on holiday anywhere that is hot! My favourite book is Stig of the Dump.
Mrs Wallis 2A Teacher (Mon-Wed)
I enjoy teaching Year 2a alongside Mrs. Haynes (we job-share) and Mrs. Wilson, who is our fantastic teaching assistant. My favourite topic in Year 2 is 'The Great Fire of London' because we learn so much about the past. Outside of school, I enjoy singing (not necessarily in tune!) as part of 'Rock Choir' and spending time with my two children. My favourite place to be is Tenby in Wales, because the beaches are so sandy and I can eat lots of ice-cream on our holidays there!
My favourite story to read to my class is 'Superworm' by Julia Donaldson.
Mrs Haynes (Wed-Fri)
I am Mrs Haynes and I am the teacher in Year 2 alongside Mrs Wallis. I work Wednesday morning, Thursday and Friday. I love to visit any pretty beach. I love looking at the sea and feeling the sand in my toes! My favourite pastime is to read and I am a fantastic at sewing; just ask the team! My favourite book to read to my class is 'Burglar Bill' by Janet and Allan Ahlberg.
Mrs Wilson 2A TA
I am Mrs Wilson. I work with Mrs Wallis and Mrs Haynes in 2A. I love teaching ICT and helping the children to use our exciting chrome books! My favourite book to read to the class is Kitchen Disco and I also love reading in my garden on a lovely summers day. My favourite place to visit is Cornwall. It's a beautiful place!
Year 2 is a fun and exciting place to be! We have a wonderful and supportive team that love working with children within our school. It's an amazing time for everyone as the children end their journey in Key Stage One and we prepare them for the exciting journey into Key Stage Two. We learn about lots of exciting things this year, answering thought provoking questions such as 'Where does our food come from?' 'Were dinosaurs real? and 'Why did the Great Fire burn for 5 days?' We learn through a concept based curriculum that progresses through the different year groups. We learn through hands on activities, role play, practical and theoretical learning opportunities. We have several enrichment opportunities linked to our topics throughout the year. Our role play areas are super exciting, giving our children lots of independent and creative time.
Long term Planning for Year 2
Year 2 expectations
In Year 2 we have high expectations of our children.
- Reading - At least three times a week is expected in Year 2. Every child that reads three times a week (or more) is moved up the reading ladder and entered into a weekly class draw to win a prize. Please ensure reading diaries are in school each day.
- Homework - Homework is mostly Maths based and is set each Friday to be completed by the following Wednesday. The work should be done by the child, it is at their level and should not need your help. Once completed, the child moves up the homework tower and when they reach the top, they get to watch a film and have treats with their friends.
- P.E is twice a week in Year 2, both inside and outside. We have strict rules on kits. It is a white t-shirt and black shorts or joggers. Children need trainers (cheap, just in case they get dirty) or plimsolls as sometimes we go outside if the weather is nice.
- Each child has a spelling book. Spellings are set each Friday to be tested the following Friday. These books need to be in school every Friday to be tested and new spellings can be stuck in.
- Swimming - All children take part in swimming in the Summer Term (details will be sent home near to the time).
- Uniform is non-negotiable at Butler's Hill. This consists of white shirts/t-shirts and black trousers/skirts. School logo jumpers or plain red jumpers are totally fine, too!
Work at Home
There are lots of things you can do at home to support your child's learning. Below are a series of websites/activities you can use to do this: