Welcome to Year 1
Dream Big, Aim High
Caring Creative Confident
Meet our team!
A very warm welcome to Year 1, from Mrs. Castle, Mrs. Radford & Miss. McIntyre.
This year, our teaching assistants are Miss Mitchell, Miss Haywood, Mrs. Housden and Mrs. Jarvis.
The following pages will hopefully provide you with as much information as possible. However, if you ever have any problem, concerns or questions, please see a member of staff at the beginning or end of the day, by phoning the office or messaging the class teacher on ClassDojo.
We are looking forward to a brilliant year in Year 1!
My name is Mrs Castle and I have been with Butler’s Hill Infant School since September 2004 when I became a Newly Qualified Teacher and have stayed here ever since! I started my career in Year 2, where I stayed for the first five years and then I moved into Year 1, where I have been ever since and love it. I am currently one of the Assistant Head Teachers, Year 1 Lead, Pupil Premium Co-ordinator, Attendance Monitor and Educational Visits Co-ordinator. But teaching the children is my favourite part of my job!
Out of school I love spending time with my family and friends and my Cockapoo Sylvie. I have been to lots of places in the world but the one place I would most like to visit is Alaska in the Arctic Circle, to see a polar bear! So not surprisingly my favourite topic in Year 1 is probably in Autumn 2 – Where will the Polar Bears Live? It leads on nicely from our recycling topic and we learn about the current issues of global warming and how we can help!
One of my favourite books is The Paper Dolls by Julia Donaldson and Rebecca Cobb
I am Mrs Radford, the class teacher for 1B. I work alongside Mrs Housden and Mrs Jarvis who are our fantastic teaching assistants. I am PHSE/SRE led, Designated Child Protection Officer, GDPO for GDRP, Behaviour Lead, School Council Led and a School Governor. I love working in Year 1 and have been in Year 1 for five years. Before this I worked in our Nursery and Reception classes. My favourite topic is ‘Children of World War Two’ because I love learning and sharing about past events. When I am not in school I enjoy spending time with my family and friends but especially enjoy spending time with Eric (my dog). Plus taking my ‘Wobble Box’ down to Cornwall, where you can find me on the beach.
My favourite book is 'Wonkey Donkey' by Craig Smith because it is funny.
Hello, my name is Miss McIntyre and I am the class teacher for Y1C. I work alongside my super teaching assistant Miss Haywood. I have been at Butler's Hill since 2017 and I am currently the subject leader for R.E and D.T. I love working in Year 1 and my favourite topic has to be Pond Life in Summer 2. I love teaching the children about life cycles of plants and animals and I love our school trip to Sherwood Pines to learn mapping skills and to explore nature.
Out of school I love spending time with my family and friends. I also love taking my Border Collie Cody for walks. One place I would love to travel to is Africa and I would love to take part in an African Safari and because of this I also love our Spring topic This is me where we explore Africa and different stories around this amazing country!
My favourite book is 'The Rhyming Rabbit' by Julia Donaldson and Lydia Monks
Hi I am Mrs Housden a part-time Teaching Assistant working in 1B along side Mrs Jarvis, the other Teaching Assistant. We both work with our Teacher Mrs Radford. I love anything craft based, and enjoy teaching the children new craft ideas for the topics we do. My favourite so far is making finger puppets polar bears for our 'Icy Issues' topic. Outside school I am a Rainbow Guide Leader which I absolutely love, especially taking the Rainbows on trips and sleepovers.
My favourite book is 'The Very Lazy Ladybird' by Isobel Finn
Hi I am Mrs Jarvis a Teaching Assistant in Year 1B working alongside Mrs Radford and Mrs Housden part-time. I love teaching Art and helping children develop their creative side. When I am not at school I enjoy spending time with my family especially my little girl who is also in Year 1 at her school.
My favourite book is 'Tabby McTat' by Julian Donaldson
Year 1 Our Intent
Long Term Planning for Year 1
Year 1 Expectations
In Year 1 we have high expectations of our children.
- Reading - At least three times a week is expected in Year 1. Every child that reads three times a week (or more) is moved up the reading ladder and entered into a weekly class draw to win a prize plus they can earn Dojo points. Please ensure reading diaries are in school each day.
- Homework - Homework is mostly Maths based and is set each Friday to be completed by the following Wednesday. The work should be done by the child, it is at their level and should not need your help. Dojo points are given once Homework is complete.
- P.E is twice a week in Year 1, both inside and outside. We have strict rules on kits. It is a white t-shirt and black shorts or joggers. Children need trainers (cheap, just in case they get dirty) or plimsolls as sometimes we go outside if the weather is nice.
- Each child has a spelling book. Spellings are set each Friday to be tested the following Thursday. These books need to be in school every Thursday to be tested and new spellings can be stuck in.
- Uniform is non-negotiable at Butler's Hill. This consists of white shirts/t-shirts and black trousers/skirts. School logo jumpers or plain red jumpers are totally fine too.
Year 1 Curriculum 2021-2022
Working at home
There are lots of ways that you can support your child's learning at home. Here a few websites/reosurces that you can use