We had a super first half term in Year 1 learning about our topic 'who will save our world?' We looked at the story Michael Recycle and thought about ways in which we could also be superheroes saving the planet. Linking to the junk percussion workshop, we also designed and made our own musical instruments out of recycled materials. We are now recycling experts and are on a mission to help save the world!
Welcome to Year 1
Dream Big, Aim High
Caring Creative Confident
Meet our team!
A very warm welcome to Year 1, from Miss McIntyre, and Mrs Radford.
This year, our teaching assistants are Miss Parfrement and Miss Tutty.
We have lots of interesting topics in year 1 with lots of exciting workshops to immerse yourself in. We will be looking at the polar regions, exploring Africa and looking at creatures that live in ponds and more!
The following pages will hopefully provide you with as much information as possible. However, if you ever have any problem, concerns or questions, please see a member of staff at the beginning or end of the day, by phoning the office or messaging the class teacher on ClassDojo.
We are looking forward to a brilliant year in Year 1!
I'm Miss McIntyre and I am the teacher in Attenborough class. I am also RE and values lead, PSHE lead, school council and part of the behaviour team. I love working in year 1 and helping the children with their big transition from foundation. Outside of work I love to read and always find my nose stuck in a book! I'm also a huge lover of Harry potter :)
I'm Miss Parfrement and I work alongside Miss McIntyre. I will teach you on a Monday afternoon, when we will do PE and music. I love art and in my spare time I like to draw or create pictures on my Ipad. I also love reading like Miss McIntyre!
I'm Mrs Radford and I am the teaching in Lovelace class. I am also the geography and history lead across school. I have a gorgeous little dog at home called Eric and I enjoy taking him on adventures down to Cornwall.
I'm Miss Tutty and I work in Lovelace class with Mrs Radford. I love teaching PE and teaching children new skills for games. I love nurturing children and teaching different nurture programmes to support children through school.
Year 1 Our Intent
Year 1 Key Spellings - Common Exception Words and Harder to Read and Spell words
Long Term Planning for Year 1
Year 1 Expectations
In Year 1 we have high expectations of our children.
- Reading - At least four times a week is expected in Year 1. Every child that reads three times a week (or more) is moved up the reading ladder and entered into a weekly class draw to win a prize plus they can earn Dojo points. Please ensure reading diaries are in school each day.
- Homework - Homework is mostly Maths based and is set each Friday to be completed by the following Wednesday. The work should be done by the child, it is at their level and should not need your help. Dojo points are given once Homework is complete.
- P.E is twice a week in Year 1 and maybe both inside or outside. We have strict rules on kits. It is a white t-shirt and black shorts or joggers. Children need trainers (cheap, just in case they get dirty) or plimsolls as sometimes we go outside if the weather is nice.
- Each child will be sent home with a spelling booklet at the beginning of the year. They will have set spellings for each half term and we will test these in schools as the half term comes to and end.
- Uniform is non-negotiable at Butler's Hill. This consists of white shirts/t-shirts and black trousers/skirts. School logo jumpers or plain red jumpers are totally fine too.
Working at home
There are lots of ways that you can support your child's learning at home. Here are a few websites/resources that you can use